Melvin-Lewis Cemetery draws its name from two pioneer families very important to the earliest historic settlement of Aurora. Arriving in 1859, the Melvin family's settlement proved invaluable to fellow westward travelers, eventually growing into a community called "Melvin." Westward pioneers were buried at the cemetery, likely beginning with the Melvins' arrival. The Lewis family purchased the cemetery from the Melvin family, continuing stewardship of the cemetery, then known as Lewis Cemetery. In addition to pioneers, individuals who donated their bodies to medical research were also buried onsite from 1957 to 1986.